Student-driven Proofreading, part 2


I learned the hard way that students don't proofread. It's not that they can't do it, but most are not taught strategies for proofreading. Most experiences are as follows:
  1. Teacher assigns a writing assignment. 
  2. Students spend class time on assignment (at least, they're supposed to) or work on it at home. 
  3. Teacher says "Proofread before you turn it in!"
  4. Student don't.
  5. Teacher returns graded writing covered in red pen mark-ups and tears.
Instead, give them a template to follow and have students look for common errors.

I created a template based on the needs of my students. The template shared here specifically addresses reoccurring issues in my students' writings. Additionally, I added a point system.

For example:

  • Using less than three pronouns in each sentence earns you 10 points. If more than three are used, you lose 5 points!
  • Do you have a thesis? Underline it and gain 50 points! Can't find it? You lose 20 points.
  • Correctly using three quotations earns you 55 points. Not using any quotations? Lose 45 points.
The first time I did this with students, I made the point values up as I went then had students total up the points and rewarded the high scores. The real reward was the amount of students with marked up first drafts! Now they had self-edited their work and used it as a guide for a more polished second draft.

The link below will give you access to my proofreading pet peeves list with random point values. I used a hunting theme to engage one of my students that was a big game hunter. It worked. 


I suggest you create your own based on the needs of your students' writing.


1 comment:

  1. I like the revision hunter handout. Not sure about the crazy point system, but I like the idea of working it up for my AP Literature timed essays.

    ReplyDelete